Sunrooms extensions will give you a highly functional and comfortable everyday living space to relax, work or entertain in.
Similar to a conservatory in design but without a glass roof, a sunroom is the perfect choice of extension to give a sleek, modern design to your home, whilst still enjoying the heat and extra sunlight that will shine through.
With a high-quality sunroom extension from Balhousie, you’ll have peace of mind that your sunroom is designed, constructed and installed by experienced architects and builders. Our team is well-versed in sunroom construction and offer a wide range of home extension services to customers in Perth and across Scotland.
We can also take care of pesky planning applications and warrants on your behalf.
What are the benefits of Sunrooms Extensions?
Sunrooms extensions will add extra light to your property and give you an unobstructed view of your back garden and surrounding areas.
Sunroom extensions can easily be connected to your living room or kitchen through any combination of windows and French, Patio or Bi-Fold doors to create a space that works for you. We can also add outward facing doors to allow a seamless entry from sunroom to back garden.
The main benefits of a sunroom are:
- Additional space for your home
- Perfect space for relaxing in the evenings
- Enjoy extra heat and light in your house
- Boost your home’s property value
- Unobstructed views to the outside
- Increase your home’s curb appeal
- Add a stylish new space to your property that can be enjoyed by the whole family
Increase your mood, living standard and your home’s property value all in one with a fantastic new Sunrooms extensions from Balhousie Glazing.
Our sunrooms can be designed in the exact style that you envision. We’ll always work to your specifications and together we can create the perfect home extension for you and your family’s needs.
For further inspiration on the types and styles of sunrooms we can over, please see our sunroom image gallery opposite or download our sunroom brochure.
Why choose a Sunroom from Balhousie Glazing?
PVCu is a natural insulator so it’s one of the most energy efficient materials for a window frame. Inside a VEKA frame multiple chambers act as barriers making it difficult for the heat inside your home to be transferred through and escape. The result is a supremely energy efficient glazed product, capable of achieving the highest possible Windows Energy Rating of A++
Security & Noise Reduction
VEKA windows are fitted with high security multi-point locking as standard and are independently tested to the requirements of PAS 24 and Secured by Design. VEKA windows are also a great deterrent for noise pollution, achieving noise reduction of up to 42 decibels.
Each PVCu product in the VEKA range is made from lead-free, energy efficient, recyclable PVCu, making it a sustainable choice. VEKA works alongside the Environment Agency to shrink its carbon footprint and has achieved ISO14001 accreditation for excellence in Environmental Management.
Many extensions need some form of approval under current Building Regulations – but some don’t. We’ll take care of the entire process. We’ll send an experienced surveyor out to your home to go through, check and discuss any relevant details. We’ll also arrange for the Building Regulations by working with the local authority.
Recently due to advancements in construction and design, the clear differences between the three types of living spaces have blurred. Traditionally, a conservatory would predominantly be glass. We’re talking glass walls and a glass roof. However, it is possible to have a tiled roof conservatory or to introduce some dwarf walls to aid insulation.
Conservatories also have a reputation for being too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. Thanks to glazing options improving, glass panes can feature coatings and coverings to ensure the room is at an ideal temperature all year round.
The main feature of a sunroom is its pillars. These can be either brick or aluminium and add a little extra privacy over a full-glass wall conservatory. Sunrooms also tend to feature a pelmet around the roof, which helps to insulate the room.
On the other hand, an extension is purposefully designed to mirror the look and feel of your home. It will largely be brick and generally (but not always) is finished off with a solid roof. Modern extensions can feature full-length glass panels and Velux windows to aid ventilation.
If you still need some guidance, speak to a Balhousie advisor and we’ll be happy to design something that’s uniquely yours.
We know that the weather in Scotland is a little more harsh than elsewhere in the UK and we’ve chosen our suppliers and products with that in mind. All our conservatory/sunroom products are designed and manufactured to be comfortable all year round.
Thankfully the days of polycarbonate roofing are gone. Solar-controlled glazing options have made a real difference and help to regulate the temperature of your conservatory/sunroom. If you’re still concerned, we would recommend going for a tiled roof.
An extension or addition to your house is considered to be permitted development, not requiring an application for planning permission, subject to certain conditions are met, typically these are:
- The ground area covered by the extension and any other buildings within the boundary of the property, excluding the original house, is not more than half the total area of the property.
- Any part of the extension is not higher than the highest part of the roof of the existing house.
- The eaves of the extension are not higher than the eaves of the existing house.
- Any part of the extension does not extend beyond any wall facing a road if it forms the principal or side elevation of the original house.
- The eaves are no more than 3 metres in height if any part of the extension is within 2 metres of the property boundary.
- The materials used in exterior work, except in the case of a conservatory, are of similar appearance to the existing house.
- An upper floor window on a side elevation within 15 metres of a boundary with another house is obscure glazed; and is non – opening unless the parts which can be opened are more than 1.7 metres above the floor of the room in which the window is installed.
- A side extension does not exceed 4 metres in height or be wider than half the width of the original house.
In a single storey extension:
- the extension does not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house by more than 4 metres for a detached house or 3 metres for any other type of house;
- the height of the extension does not exceed 4 metres;
- no part of the extension is within 3.5 metres of any property boundary with a road opposite the rear wall of the house.
In an extension with more than one storey:
- the extension does not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house by more than 3 metres;
- no part of the extension is within 7 metres of the property boundary opposite the rear wall of the house;
- the roof pitch of the enlargement is as far as practicable the same as that of the original house.
If you live in a house within a conservation area, World Heritage Site, area of outstanding natural beauty or National Park:
- no part of the exterior of the house is clad with stone, artificial stone, pebbledash, render, timber, plastic or tiles;
- the extension is not more than 1 storey or 4 metres in height;
- no part of the extension extends beyond a principal or side elevation of the original house
British Designed & Manufactured
Our windows & doors are designed in the UK and manufactured in Scotland. Our craftmanship complies with all British Standards, ensuring that our products are of the highest quality and comply with all safety standards.
Get a Quote
Simply fill in your details for your free, no obligation quotation, and click "Get a Quote"
Book An Appointment
Book your free design appointment today! Fill in your details below and click “Book an Appointment”
What our customers say...
The whole process of dealing with Balhousie was brilliant. Right from the initial discussion regarding requirements, ordering & then the installation was first class. Superb job, would definitely use again
Mrs McLaren, Perth
We were impressed by all those involved with the installation of our new extension which has made our lives so much more comfortable. We would definitely recommend Balhousie
From initial enquiry through to post project completion, Drew & all his team delivered a first class service. We have used Balhousie on several occasions and wouldn't go anywhere else now.
Mrs A Kinnes
Allan & Peter did a really great job. We're very happy with the service and windows. I've already recommended Balhousie to a couple of friends!
Mr A Povey
I used Balhousie to install secondary glazing in my property as well as new windows and French doors. I was impressed by the speed of service, attention to detail and high quality workmanship and products. The price was also very competitive. Highly recommended!
Gillian D, Perth
Work carried out in a tidy and quick manner. Very pleased and happy to recommend
Mr R Rorrison
I congratulate your firm on your efficient service & very helpful polite installers.
Mrs Gordon, Perth
Just a quick note to say our window installation this week was great and I couldn’t be happier with the end result. The installers were absolutely first class and a credit to your company
I would just like to say thank you for the installation of our new windows and doors. It has made a dramatic difference to the house in more...
We are absolutely delighted with the finished works and the new space has totally changed the dimension of the house. A huge thanks to you and...
Mr & Mrs Stronach
Thank you very much for providing such a good service. From the initial contact to the finished installation tthe experience was one of total...
Very satisfied with the service from all members of staff with whom we had contract
Mr T Scade
He took care and attention to everything he did, answered my questions with patience, explained how things worked, arrived on time and never...
Mrs S Lazaro
Not only are we so happy with our new conservatory roof but also with Balhousie’s service & installation. The installers were polite, friendly, tidy & professional. Would highly recommend from start to finish.
C Davidson, Perth
Installers have done a magnificent job. Our new conservatory looks great & we are very pleased with the result!