Orangeries extensions add additional space to your home and can help create an open-plan, multi-functional living space that is highly desirable in today’s housing market
An orangery extension will make a huge statement in any home and will give you and your family the extra space they need to relax, live, socialise and work in.
If you’re looking for a stunning, cost-effective home extension that will increase the value of your home and improve the quality of your life, orangeries extensions from Balhousie could be perfect for you.
Get in touch with our team today on 01738 658132 to discuss your home extension requirements.
What is an Orangery extension?
Orangeries date back to the 17th Century and were predominantly owned by the richest landowners. Using more brickwork than a conservatory, orangeries subsequently blend into existing buildings effortlessly. They are similar to house extensions but often cost less.
Features that make an orangery stand out from other types of home extensions, such as sunrooms and conservatories are the solid brick-built pillars that support an Orangery, along with the low-level walls and bright, airy roof lanterns. (although these are also a common feature of conservatories).
What are the benefits of orangeries extensions?
An orangery provides homeowners with a range of benefits, including:
- Additional living space
- A relaxing room to enjoy the summer evenings
- Additional light and warmth into the property
- A space that can be designed to match your tastes and requirements
- Increase the value of your home
- Create a seamless transition between home and garden
- A more cost-friendly alternative to a home extension (depending on size and requirements)
The home extension team at Balhousie Glazing always work to our clients' requirements. Please let us know of your ideas, style designs and requirements so that together, we can create the perfect orangery extension for you.
Why choose an Orangery Extension from Balhousie?
PVCu is a natural insulator so it’s one of the most energy efficient materials for a window frame. Inside a VEKA frame multiple chambers act as barriers making it difficult for the heat inside your home to be transferred through and escape. The result is a supremely energy efficient glazed product, capable of achieving the highest possible Windows Energy Rating of A++
Security & Noise Reduction
VEKA windows are fitted with high security multi-point locking as standard and are independently tested to the requirements of PAS 24 and Secured by Design. VEKA windows are also a great deterrent for noise pollution, achieving noise reduction of up to 42 decibels.
Each PVCu product in the VEKA range is made from lead-free, energy efficient, recyclable PVCu, making it a sustainable choice. VEKA works alongside the Environment Agency to shrink its carbon footprint and has achieved ISO14001 accreditation for excellence in Environmental Management.
Traditionally, orangeries were grand, ostentatious buildings used to grow orange trees in large period homes. The solidity of the pillars sheltered the oranges, but large expanses of glass ensure the sun's warmth cultivated the plants.
A conservatory is a glass structure with a brick base and a pitched glazed roof. An orangery is a brick structure with large windows and a flat roof with a glass lantern.
As they are closer to a traditional extension than conservatories are, orangeries generally add more value to your house. Due to the difference in glazing, conservatories let in more natural light than orangeries and also means they provide a better view of the garden.
Orangeries are more expensive than conservatories because of how they are built. While a conservatory is predominantly made from glass, an orangery has a larger substantial base and is made from bricks. An orangery acts more as an extension to the property and therefore adds more to the property’s overall value.
Many extensions need some form of approval under current Building Regulations – but some don’t. We’ll take care of the entire process. We’ll send an experienced surveyor out to your home to go through, check and discuss any relevant details. We’ll also arrange for the Building Regulations by working with the local authority.
An extension or addition to your house is considered to be permitted development, not requiring an application for planning permission, subject to certain conditions are met, typically these are:
- The ground area covered by the extension and any other buildings within the boundary of the property, excluding the original house, is not more than half the total area of the property.
- Any part of the extension is not higher than the highest part of the roof of the existing house.
- The eaves of the extension are not higher than the eaves of the existing house.
- Any part of the extension does not extend beyond any wall facing a road if it forms the principal or side elevation of the original house.
- The eaves are no more than 3 metres in height if any part of the extension is within 2 metres of the property boundary.
- The materials used in exterior work, except in the case of a conservatory, are of similar appearance to the existing house.
- An upper floor window on a side elevation within 15 metres of a boundary with another house is obscure glazed; and is non – opening unless the parts which can be opened are more than 1.7 metres above the floor of the room in which the window is installed.
- A side extension does not exceed 4 metres in height or be wider than half the width of the original house.
In a single storey extension:
- the extension does not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house by more than 4 metres for a detached house or 3 metres for any other type of house;
- the height of the extension does not exceed 4 metres;
no part of the extension is within 3.5 metres of any property boundary with a road opposite the rear wall of the house.
In an extension with more than one storey:
- the extension does not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house by more than 3 metres;
- no part of the extension is within 7 metres of the property boundary opposite the rear wall of the house;
- the roof pitch of the enlargement is as far as practicable the same as that of the original house.
- If you live in a house within a conservation area, World Heritage Site, area of outstanding natural beauty or National Park:
- no part of the exterior of the house is clad with stone, artificial stone, pebbledash, render, timber, plastic or tiles;
- the extension is not more than 1 storey or 4 metres in height;
- no part of the extension extends beyond a principal or side elevation of the original house
British Designed & Manufactured
Our windows & doors are designed in the UK and manufactured in Scotland. Our craftmanship complies with all British Standards, ensuring that our products are of the highest quality and comply with all safety standards.
Get a Quote
Simply fill in your details for your free, no obligation quotation, and click "Get a Quote"
Book An Appointment
Book your free design appointment today! Fill in your details below and click “Book an Appointment”
What our customers say...
The whole process of dealing with Balhousie was brilliant. Right from the initial discussion regarding requirements, ordering & then the installation was first class. Superb job, would definitely use again
Mrs McLaren, Perth
We were impressed by all those involved with the installation of our new extension which has made our lives so much more comfortable. We would definitely recommend Balhousie
From initial enquiry through to post project completion, Drew & all his team delivered a first class service. We have used Balhousie on several occasions and wouldn't go anywhere else now.
Mrs A Kinnes
Allan & Peter did a really great job. We're very happy with the service and windows. I've already recommended Balhousie to a couple of friends!
Mr A Povey
I used Balhousie to install secondary glazing in my property as well as new windows and French doors. I was impressed by the speed of service, attention to detail and high quality workmanship and products. The price was also very competitive. Highly recommended!
Gillian D, Perth
Work carried out in a tidy and quick manner. Very pleased and happy to recommend
Mr R Rorrison
I congratulate your firm on your efficient service & very helpful polite installers.
Mrs Gordon, Perth
Just a quick note to say our window installation this week was great and I couldn’t be happier with the end result. The installers were absolutely first class and a credit to your company
I would just like to say thank you for the installation of our new windows and doors. It has made a dramatic difference to the house in more...
We are absolutely delighted with the finished works and the new space has totally changed the dimension of the house. A huge thanks to you and...
Mr & Mrs Stronach
Thank you very much for providing such a good service. From the initial contact to the finished installation tthe experience was one of total...
Very satisfied with the service from all members of staff with whom we had contract
Mr T Scade
He took care and attention to everything he did, answered my questions with patience, explained how things worked, arrived on time and never...
Mrs S Lazaro
Not only are we so happy with our new conservatory roof but also with Balhousie’s service & installation. The installers were polite, friendly, tidy & professional. Would highly recommend from start to finish.
C Davidson, Perth
Installers have done a magnificent job. Our new conservatory looks great & we are very pleased with the result!